Tuesday, October 01, 2002

Lia. Do you know what ever happened to Janne?
Henrik. I don’t know. I haven’t heard from her in years.
Lia. It’s like she disappeared.
Henrik. I’m sure she’s around, but I just don’t know where.
Lia. What happened?
Henrik. It’s interesting. It’s hard to keep in touch with her when she’s not in the same general vicinity. She doesn’t return calls or reply to mail. She only communicates with the people in physical proximity to her, but when you get her attention, you have all of it.
Lia. I guess it’s all or nothing with her.
Henrik. Yeah, it’s fair.
Lia. When was the last time you saw her?
Henrik. I actually bumped into her at a subway station two years ago. She was going uptown and I was going downtown. I couldn’t believe it. We exchanged numbers and left each other there, but when I tried calling her, I got someone else.
Lia. Really? She gave you the wrong number?
Henrik. Yeah. I think so.
Lia. Did you try looking her up in the phone book?
Henrik. She’s not listed. I know it’s not the case, but I occasionally feel like she gave me the wrong number on purpose.
Lia. Nah, that can’t be.
Henrik. I guess I can’t help trying to explain why we haven’t kept in touch.
Lia. Maybe you’ll bump into her again.
Henrik. Perhaps.
End. Inadvertent Signals