Tuesday, October 29, 2002

Nena. Hey, Stal. What’s up?
Stal. I heard you have a guest staying with you for the weekend.
Nena. Um, yeah. She’s a friend of a friend that I met in Norway.
Stal. Do you mind if I meet her?
Nena. You came all the way to my apartment to meet her?
Stal. Perr was telling me about her and how she likes to fish.
Nena. Yeah, so?
Stal. Nena. I love fishing.
Nena. Yeah, so do fat men in overalls. What’s going through your head?
Stal. I also heard she likes rock climbing.
Nena. You love to rock climb too?
Stal. I just feel like your guest might be the perfect one for me.
Nena. Because she likes to fish and rock climb?
Stal. No, not just that. It was the way Perr described her. I have to meet her, Nena. Can I come in?
Nena. I don’t know. This is unusual. I really don’t know her. What am I supposed to do?
Stal. You can let me in and introduce me to her. If we’re perfect for each other then we’ll hit it off. If not, then c’est la vie.
Nena. Would you want me to explain to her that you think that she might be the one for you?
Stal. Sure. Why not?
Nena. I don’t know if I can let you in, Stal.
Stal. Why not?
Nena. It’s awkward. I just don’t know her well enough. What kind of guest lets strangers come in to be a suitor? Why are you putting me in this kind of situation?
Stal. Please, Nena. I just have this feeling that she’s the one. It’ll be awkward. I know, but I am willing to experience the awkwardness just to meet her.
Nena. The thing is, I don’t know if I’m willing to.
Stal. Birke? Birke, can you hear me? My name is Stal. I need to meet you. Please, can you come to the door?
Nena. I’m sorry, Stal. I’m going to close to door now.
*Nena closes the door
Birke. Who was that at the door?
Nena. Oh, a friend of mine.
Birke. He knows who I am?
Nena. Do you remember Perr?
Birke. Yes. We had lunch with him, didn’t we?
Nena. Yeah, Perr told my friend about you.
Birke. What about me?
Nena. I’m not sure, really. About your interest in fishing and rock climbing.
Birke. Your friend likes fishing and rock climbing?
Nena. I think so.
Birke. Can I meet your friend?
End. Initiating Certainty
gennineteensix