Sunday, September 29, 2002

Hilde. When did you get this TV?
Arve. Oh, sometime last month.
Hilde. I looks so old, where did you get it from?
Arve. It’s kind of strange. Two Fijian friends found it on the side of the road and brought it in for me.
Hilde. Really? Does it work?
Arve. Sure. It’s not the nicest TV, but it’s a TV.
Hilde. Look at the wooden paneling. It’s like a piece of furniture.
Arve. It swivels on it’s base too.
Hilde. Does it have a remote?
Arve. No, but I can just connect the VCR into it and change channels with the VCR remote.
Hilde. You just need to turn it on from here?
Arve. Yup.
Hilde. Can I turn it on?
Arve. Sure, but there’s a trick to it.
Hilde. Really?
Arve. When you turn it on, you need to press A-one, A-two, then A-three.
Hilde. What?
Arve. It doesn’t work normally if you don’t do that.
Hilde. What is A?
Arve. I think it’s auxiliary. Try it.
Hilde. Okay ... A-one, A-two, A-three ... That’s so strange. How did you figure that out?
Arve. Well, at first it didn’t work so I looked in the back and saw RCA jacks labeled aux one and aux two, so I thought by pressing those keys, it would do something.
Hilde. So you have to press A-one, A-two, A-three all the time to turn on the TV?
Arve. Yup.
Hilde. Why don’t you buy a new TV?
Arve. I never wanted one.
Hilde. But you have this one.
Arve. It was a gift, and plus, it has character. It’s like someone giving me an old Cadillac. How can I refuse?
Hilde. It’s from the side of the street.
Arve. And now it has a place where it will be loved.
Hilde. What is this, wood polish?
Arve. Yes.
End. Television From the Streets