Monday, October 07, 2002

Kathe. I had a baby grand piano moved into my apartment yesterday.
Gerrit. Are you serious? A piano can fit into your apartment?
Kathe. Yeah, I think I could fit three pianos into my apartment, but that is if I took everything else out of it.
Gerrit. So this piano takes up a third of your apartment?
Kathe. Yeah, you could say that.
Gerrit. How did you get it up there?
Kathe. I hired piano movers.
Gerrit. Really? They have special movers to move pianos?
Kathe. Yeah, I guess so. It was interesting to watch them take the piano apart and slide it up the stairs. Occasionally, all the hammers of the piano would hit their strings to create this brooming low echoing through the hallways. The movers would wait till the ringing ceased, then they would start again.
Gerrit. Who knew moving pianos would be so elegant?
Kathe. It is an elegant instrument, though a big elegant instrument.
Gerrit. That takes up a third of your room.
Kathe. I think I'll sleep under my piano tonight.
End. This Brooming Low