Friday, October 11, 2002

*door rings*
Annette. Can you get that? That’s probably Dad.
Yor. Sure.
*Yor opens door*
Yor. Hello Mr. Tavers. It good to see you again. How was the drive?
Mr. Tavers. Hello.
Yor. Please come in. Annette is in the living room, watching television.
Annette. Daddy! Come sit by me.
Mr. Tavers. Hey girl, what are you watching?
Annette. Some documentary on hippopotamuses. It’s really interesting. This one herd of hippos sustains the lives of the other animals living in the watering hole. It’s like everything is centered around them.
Mr. Tavers. How are you feeling? How’s the baby doing?
Annette. I don’t think he wants to come out anymore. It’s like he’s trying to climb up rather than down.
Mr. Tavers. You’ll be fine. I’m going to take care of you.
Yor. Annette? Mr. Tavers? Would you like anything to drink? Water? Tea?
Annette. I’ll have a glass of orange juice. Do you want anything Daddy?
Mr. Tavers. No, I’m fine.
Annette. Thanks for coming, Daddy. You didn’t have to.
Mr. Tavers. Well, I know the baby’s due at any moment, so I wanted to be here for you.
Annette. Thanks, Daddy. Look, one of the mother hippos gave birth to a baby.
Mr. Tavers. You’re not tired or anything are you?
Annette. No, I’m fine.
Yor. Here’s your juice. Are you sure you don’t want anything, Mr. Tavers?
Annette. Yeah, have something, Daddy. Yor can make you a sandwich or something.
Mr. Tavers. No thanks. So, have you prepared everything for the baby? Have you bought a crib, clothing?
Annette. Of course we have. We have everything all taken care of.
Mr. Tavers. How are you going to support the child?
Annette. What do you mean?
Mr. Tavers. You have to stay home and take care of the child.
Annette. Right?
Mr. Tavers. Then where are you going to get the money to support the baby?
Annette. What do you mean? Yor has a job.
Mr. Tavers. As what?
Annette. I told you already. He’s working at the auto parts store.
Mr. Tavers. That’s not a job. How are you going to live on that salary?
Yor. That job is only temporary, Mr. Tavers. Once I finish my degree, I’ll be able to find a better job. I have one more semester left.
Mr. Tavers. What college do you go to?
Yor. I’m attending the community college.
Mr. Tavers. You think you can find a better job with a degree from a community college? Community college is for the Army to recruit from.
Annette. Dad!
Mr. Tavers. Tell me, Yor. How old are you?
Yor. Twenty eight.
Mr. Tavers. Your twenty eight, and you’re still in college? What’s wrong with you? I cannot believe my daughter married someone like you.
Annette. Dad, you going to have to leave now.
Mr. Tavers. What? If anything you should be coming with me.
Annette. No. I’m staying here, with Yor. Please, Dad. You need to think about the things you’ve said.
Mr. Tavers. But, Annie.
Annette. No, you have to have more faith in us. It does not help if you just criticize Yor like that. He’s my husband, Dad. I have faith in him. How does it help if you criticize like that? Please, you need to leave now.
Mr. Tavers. I just want you to have a better life.
Annette. Please, Dad. Just go.
Mr. Tavers. If you need me, just give me a call.
*Mr. Tavers leaves*
Yor. I’m sorry, Annette.
Annette. Come here. Let’s watch the hippos.
End. Watching the Hippos