Monday, October 14, 2002

Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. What’s it like having no friends?
Palle. At first it’s hard, but you get used to it. The reason why I have no friends is not because I am a unsocial person. You know me, I’m quite social. It just doesn’t seem natural right now.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. What do you mean?
Palle. I feel like if I say something it’ll only be for the sake of gaining attention from others.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. What’s wrong with that?
Palle. It’s the verbal equivalent of coloring my hair green. I catch myself whenever I talk. I might as well be saying, “look at me, I’m special.”
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. So you don’t want people to know who you are?
Palle. No, I do, but not in a manner where I’m forcing them to get to know me. I find myself doing this. I tell them really menial things about myself like, I like gum or I’m allergic to cats.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. Nothing’s wrong with that. I really don’t understand what the problem is.
Palle. I’m kind of doing it now. I’m making something that should not be a big deal into a drama. I really want to stop this.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. So you tend to dramatize your life?
Palle. I guess I do it to make me feel like my life has some sort of worth.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. So if you don’t dramatize your life, you feel as though your life is worthless?
Palle. Yeah, I think so. It’s so ingrained into my life that I can barely recognize it.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. Let’s get back to having no friends.
Palle. Oh, right. So I guess I don’t want to have friends who will be friends with me because of what I say, rather what I do.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. Isn’t that idealizing friendship to an unrealistic level?
Palle. And that too dramatizes my life. I just want things to be simple.
Dr. Bertram Casper Tarp. Then, I think you should not worry about the process of making friends.
Palle. I guess I can’t help myself. Drama; that’s what I subconsciously want.
End. Subconscious Drama