Saturday, October 12, 2002

Anke. How was your day?
Holst. I met a bird today.
Anke. Really?
Holst. It was the size of a baseball. I was on my way to return some library books and this bird chirped while it was skittering away from me. It went, “pyowb, pyowb.”
Anke. What kind of bird was it?
Holst. I don’t know really. As I got closer to it, the bird skittered faster going from one side of the sidewalk to the other. I walked faster, you know, to make it fly, but it wouldn’t. He would continue to skitter along in a zigzag, chirping, “pyowb, pyowb.”
Anke. What color was it?
Holst. I don’t remember, I just remember it’s tail when it finally decided to fly. It had a white base that faded into a brownish grey feathers. But then the bird landed only a few meters away in front of me chirping, “pyowb, pyowb.”
Anke. Sounds like it was mocking you.
Holst. I wanted to kick a stone at it.
End. Pyowb Pyowb