Sunday, October 20, 2002

Emil. I was talking to my mom the other day.
Livi. Really? I love your mother. She has a really good sense of humor. It’s kind of sad that you didn’t pick it up.
Emil. I’m more like my father. I use other people’s jokes and make them my own. So I was talking to my mom on the phone.
Livi. Whom I love.
Emil. Right, and she tells me that the first date she had with my dad was watching The Godfather.
Livi. Really? I’ve never seen that movie. That’s with Marlon Brando, right?
Emil. The Godfather. Not exactly a date movie. It’s a bit on the long side, but it’s The Godfather. Amazing. What a way to start dating.
Livi. With The Godfather? What’s the big deal?
Emil. Out of all the movies to do on a date on, my father takes my mom to The Godfather. It’s like they had to marry after that.
Livi. Because of The Godfather?
Emil. Maybe that’s why I haven’t been able to find someone. I haven’t been taking them to monumental films. I’ve been taking them to dinky films like The Royal Tennenbaums or Amelie.
Livi. I liked Amelie.
Emil. Yeah, but it’s not The Godfather.
Livi. So what would be a monument film?
Emil. You know, I’ve been thinking about it, and I can’t think of one.
Livi. I’m sure one will come around.
Emil. Feel like watching The Godfather?
End. The Godfather and Marriage