Thursday, October 31, 2002

Hallit. Isn’t that the kid who stole your wallet the other day?
Berren. Yeah, looks like he’s about to steal another.
Hallit. We should do something.
Berren. Like what?
Hallit. We should take him aside and get your wallet back.
Berren. It’s probably gone by now. I was an old wallet.
Hallit. How much money did he take from you?
Berren. Around fifty dollars I think.
Hallit. We should get that fifty back from that punk then.
Berren. Look at him. Look how he just rides on people’s side. He’s taking advantage of the crowds. That guy has no idea.
Hallit. We should stop him from taking the guy’s wallet.
Berren. Like how?
Hallit. I don’t know. I just want to embarrass the little punk.
Berren. He didn’t steal your money.
Hallit. Yeah, he stole yours. We should steal something from him.
Berren. Well, you better hurry. He just got the guy’s wallet.
Hallit. I’m going to trip him up and take his sneakers.
Berren. Are you serious?
Hallit. You can take off one and I’ll take off the other, then we run.
Berren. I don’t know. I’ve got to return these books.
Hallit. Come on. He’s going to have to explain to whoever why he doesn’t have shoes on.
Berren. It’s the middle of the day.
Hallit. That makes it better. It’s out in the public like lifting the stone to reveal the roach that he is. Come on, he stole your money. We need to teach him a lesson.
Berren. If anything, it’ll confuse him. It was my fault. I wasn’t paying attention. I should have known he was trying to get at my wallet. He got me fair.
Hallit. So you’re not coming with me?
Berren. You’re still going to do it?
Hallit. Yeah.
Berren. Well, don’t get caught, oh. Here take this.
*Berren takes out library books out of a bag and gives the bag to Hallit.
Hallit. What’s this for?
Berren. So you can put the sneakers in.
Hallit. Thanks. See, if you came with me, you could hold him down while he watches me tie his sneakers together and fling them across the telephone wires. Maybe the guy who got his wallet stolen wants to help out even.
Berren. I’ll go ask him for you.
End. Sneakers for the Effort
gentwentysevenfortythree