Saturday, October 26, 2002

Catalin. This beach better be worth it.
Doren. Trust me, it is.
Catalin. All I see is volcano rock to the left and right of me.
Doren. I’m telling you. The sand is so fine that it massages your feet.
Catalin. Really?
Doren. Tourist don’t know about this place and it’s not a surfing spot for the locals, so there’s a good chance we’ll be the only ones there.
Catalin. Well, where is it?
Doren. We’re almost there.
Catalin. I feel like I’m on the moon. There’s nothing here but volcano rock. I could kill you, take off my clothes, and no one would know it.
Doren. Um, yeah. You should be able to see the beach after this hill.
Catalin. Mind if I go ahead?
Doren. Sure. Just watch your step. Last time, a pocket of rock collapsed under a friend of mine, ripping up his legs.
Catalin. Uh, Doren?
Doren. Yeah?
Catalin. The beach isn’t there.
Doren. What?
Catalin. Are you sure this is the right place? Look, it’s all rock, then the ocean.
Doren. It’s gone. I can’t believe it. This is the right path. I mean, we passed the gate.
Catalin. You’ve got to be kidding me. No beach? All this and no beach?
Doren. It must have eroded away.
Catalin. When was the last time you were here?
Doren. A couple months ago?
Catalin. Were there any storms that went by?
Doren. There must have been while I was on the mainland. I can’t believe it’s gone.
Catalin. What do we do now?
Doren. I don’t know.
Catalin. Let’s eat first. I’m hungry.
Doren. Maybe the beach will come back after a couple of months.
Catalin. I don’t know, Doren. Sand doesn’t just jump back onto the coast.
Doren. I’ve never experienced sand like that before. It’s got to come back. I’ll wait for a couple months and come back. The beach’ll be back.
Catalin. I’ll be busy that day.
End. Swimming Grains of Sand
genseventwentythree