Monday, October 21, 2002

Boden. You really shouldn’t have gotten me something.
Elsa. Yeah, I actually thought about it. I mean. How many times have we seen each other?
Boden. I think you can count it in hours.
Elsa. I know. And now you’re leaving. So, what the heck. I got you something as a going away present. It seems appropriate in a way.
Boden. You really shouldn’t have. I didn’t get you something. What would have I gotten you? I really don’t know. I’m not exactly sure what you like. I guess I could have gotten you something as thoughtless as perfume or flowers.
Elsa. You would have gotten me flowers?
Boden. No, probably not. Maybe after a couple more hours of being with you.
Elsa. Well, I didn’t get you flowers or perfume.
Boden. That’s good because I would have had to explain that I’m a man.
Elsa. I would have enjoyed your attempt to convince me that you are a man.
Boden. Attempt? So where’s my gift? Is it a dress?
Elsa. Come on in, I have it inside.
Boden. I was looking forward to it, but now since I’m imagining it being a dress, I’m preparing myself to give you a polite thank you.
Elsa. Now I wish I got you a dress. Have a seat. Do you want anything to drink?
Boden. I don’t know, what do you have?
Elsa. Let’s see. Water, Diet Seven Up, milk? I could make you some tea.
Boden. Do you have peppermint.
Elsa. I think I do. Would you like some?
Boden. Sure.
Elsa. So, while the water is coming to a boil, let me get you your gift.
Boden. I don’t know how to feel anymore.
Elsa. Just accept it. Here. I’m sure you’ll like it.
Boden. Before I open it, I just want to tell you that I’ve enjoyed the hours that we’ve had together.
Elsa. I have too, it’s too bad that you’re leaving. I don’t know if I’ve ever had a friend yanked out of my life quite as quickly.
Boden. Strangely enough, it happens to me all the time.
Elsa. Really?
Boden. I feel like I’m living out TV episodes of The Fugitive. I arrive, get to know a hand full of people, then poof, the cops come and chase me away.
Elsa. Sounds like the A Team to me.
Boden. It’s a common theme.
Elsa. Even though I don’t know you all that well, I think I would lie to the cops so that you could get away.
Boden. You could go to jail for that.
Elsa. Oh, then never mind.
Boden. Well gee. That’s reassuring. Threaten to pummel you with pillows and you would rat me out.
Elsa. Maybe if I knew you for a couple more hours, then yes, I would lie to the cops for you.
Boden. Well how many hours would it take?
Elsa. I don’t know, but you’re almost there.
Boden. What? Three? Four?
Elsa. I think a good eight hours more would be sufficient.
Boden. I’m up for eight more hours. I’ll even make it eight and a half to make it a Fellini film.
Elsa. Oh, the water’s boiling. I’ll get the tea.
Boden. Do you mind if I open the gift now?
Elsa. No, go ahead. Do you want honey in yours?
Boden. Yes, please. What’s this? I really like it. I like how the snow slowly swirls past the corners the buildings. Thank you very much. I definitely won’t throw it away.
Elsa. Um, thanks. I think there’s something quietly nostalgic about snow globes. I’ve always enjoyed snow falling. And since it’s been snowing, I thought it would be fitting. Call it a quiet nostalgic reminder of me.
Boden. Thank you.
End. Life Les Miserables