Thursday, January 09, 2003

Tomassian. I am not the center of the world. I am not the center of the world. The world does not revolve around me. I am not the center of the world.
Noemie. What are you doing?
Tomassian. I’m trying to realize that I am not the center of the world.
Noemie. Do you think you are the center of the world?
Tomassian. Normally, I would say no, but on a subconscious level, I think I believe it.
Noemie. Really? I guess on some subconscious level we all think we are the center of the world.
Tomassian. I blame counselors and psychiatrists.
Noemie. What? Why?
Tomassian. You go see a counselor and they want you to talk exclusively about yourself and the things that revolve in your life. After several sessions, this way of conversing and thinking seeps in until you feel everyone wants to listen to your story and that there is no secret that you should keep.
Noemie. That’s frightening.
Tomassian. I dated a girl who religiously went to sessions. I tell her something in confidence, then she goes off to tell her analyst as a part of her session, then goes off and tell her mother, then tells me that she told other people. It’s unusual.
Noemie. Couples or married couples are kind of the same too. If you tell one spouse then it’s like you’re telling the other. So, even if you trust one, you may not necessarily trust the other so you’re limited to what to tell the one you trust.
Tomassian. That’s true. Then there are people who don’t tell anyone anything. All they do is listen. They’re just like counselors or priests, but they don’t even give feedback. Only things like, “that’s too bad,” or, “I understand.”
Noemie. Who can we trust, then?
Tomassian. Can I trust you?
Noemie. I think so. Can I trust you?
Tomassian. Sure. I am not the center of the world.
Noemie. The world does not revolve around me.
End. Telling Everyone