Monday, January 27, 2003

Ettore. Here you are.
Elke. Hey, Ettore.
Ettore. I don’t think there are many things lonelier than swimming at a hotel pool at night.
Elke. Eating a cup of yogurt in your car during an autumn drizzle is up there, but I’m not swimming.
Ettore. Oh? What are you doing then?
Elke. I’m just watching the reflection of the pool water against the ceiling.
Ettore. Geeze, that might be lonelier than swimming at night. Do you mind if I sit next to you.
Elke. No, go ahead. Do you want a stone?
Ettore. What? Why?
Elke. So you can throw it into the pool. Here.
Ettore. Okay? So I just throw it in?
Elke. Watch how the stone affects the pool’s reflection.
Ettore. Okay.
*Ettore throws the stone
Ettore. Now what?
Elke. Quiet. You can hear the stone float down to the bottom of the pool.
Ettore. Wow, there’s no way for me to leave.
Elke. I’m sorry?
End. Puh-tuh