Tuesday, January 21, 2003

Ernst. I almost died today.
Karoly. What? What happened?
Ernst. I was riding my bike to the grocery store, you know, for dinner, but you know how it was slippery out today.
Karoly. Yeah, because of the rain.
Ernst. Traffic was heavy, so I decided to ride on the sidewalk, but when I tried to get on to the sidewalk, my tires lost traction and I slid into a bush.
Karoly. Were you okay?
Ernst. I just scraped my palms trying to catch myself, but look at this. See the red mark on my throat?
Karoly. How did that happen?
Ernst. When I fell, I fell towards the end of tree branch on the ground.
Karoly. That was from a tree branch?
Ernst. If I didn’t stop, it would have gone through my neck.
Karoly. But you’re okay right?
Ernst. I am, but I can’t stop thinking what would have happened to me if the stick actually went through. How much blood there would be? How hard would it to breathe? I’d probably choke on my own blood.
Karoly. Stop, why are you saying that?
Ernst. I would have died helplessly, Karoly. I would have died watching the traffic go by.
End. Neck Unscarred