Thursday, September 26, 2002

Aldo. I always forget where to sit without the sun getting in your eyes.
Ida. I guess it would be closest to the windows so the light would pass over us.
Aldo. I don’t know, I like to sit near the middle or on the opposite side of the windows. It seems darker closer to the windows.
Ida. Well, I can’t sit here for much longer. Can you pull the shades down?
Aldo. You know, I’ve never operated the shades before.
Ida. Really? Why not?
Aldo. I don’t know. I just waited until someone else did it.
Ida. Well, it doesn’t look like anyone’s going to do it.
Aldo. There’s a lot of tourists here, they probably don’t know about the switch.
Ida. Well, now’s your chance to pull the shades down.
Aldo. I know, but who am I to pull the shades down for everyone in the room? If there was an individual switch to pull only our shade down, then I would have no problems. Flipping the switch means I’ll be pulling the shade down for everyone. I don’t feel I have the authority to tell everyone that I will be controlling the amount of sun coming into the periodical room. Maybe some tourist is enjoying the sun on their face and it being energized by it’s light.
Ida. What are they, solar powered plants? I’m sweating here.
Aldo. Then why don’t you do it?
Ida. Because of that authority thing you said.
Aldo. All right. This is my room. I will dictate the amount of sun that enters this room.
Ida. While you’re up, can you get me a drink?
Aldo. What do you want?
Ida. A raspberry iced tea. You get diet, I kill you.
End. Dictator