Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Walor. I give up.
Sabeinne. What are you talking about?
Walor. I can’t do this anymore. I’m done.
Sabeinne. What are you going to do?
Walor. Not do this, first of all.
Sabeinne. That’s it? You’re done?
Walor. Yup.
Sabeinne. Who’s going to take over?
Walor. That’s not my concern.
Sabeinne. Don’t you think you’re being selfish?
Walor. I am being selfish only to keep me sane. Any more of this, and I’m going to have to become violent.
Sabeinne. You?
Walor. I thought about burning this building down.
Sabeinne. What?
Walor. But I couldn’t think of a sure way to do it without hurting people.
Sabeinne. Burn the building down?
Walor. I printed out leaflets to tape up everywhere warning that the building was going to be burned down at a certain date, so that people would be sure not to be in the building, but I’m sure the police would make sure no one would enter the building that day. Then I thought of letting the night shift janitors know about me burning down the building so I could do it late at night. I would help them look for better jobs elsewhere and plan for everyone to be covered when the building burned down, but that would cause too much suspicion from the police and will probably lead to me.
Sabeinne. I can’t believe this. Are you going to burn the building down?
Walor. No, I can’t without hurting my friends at work or being able to do it without getting caught. But planning all this helped me calm down. It was like solving a puzzle, but this puzzle is too difficult for me, and I’ve accepted that. I can’t burn down the building, but I can walk away from it.
Sabeinne. I guess I’m glad.
End. Spare What Cannot
numfourteenfortytwo