Sunday, November 10, 2002

Gernot. How are you feeling?
Lena. Feel my head.
Gernot. You’re burning.
Lena. I can barely see, I’m so hot.
Gernot. Is there anything I can do?
Lena. You can pay for my funeral.
Gernot. Come on, you’re not going to die.
Lena. I feel like I’m going to. I feel so weak. I can barely move. Did you see my plants?
Gernot. No, why?
Lena. Look at them. They’re all dead. I couldn’t take care of them, then Picasso absolutely tore into them.
Gernot. Your cat?
Lena. I think she realized how weak I became and took advantage of it.
Gernot. Your cat is evil.
Lena. I know. Can you open the windows? I can’t breath.
Gernot. You should go to the hospital.
Lena. I should.
Gernot. Do you want me to take you?
Lena. Could you?
Gernot. Sure. Can you get up?
Lena. Can you help me? I hate this. I hate not being able to do anything. I can’t even cook anything.
Gernot. How long have you been like this?
Lena. Three days.
Gernot. Three days? Why didn’t you call earlier?
Lena. I thought I would get better, but I’m getting worse.
Gernot. Do you need something to drink?
Lena. Please, can you stop asking if I need anything?
Gernot. I’m sorry.
Lena. Stop it, it’s getting on my nerves.
Gernot. What do you want me to do?
Lena. Just shut up for a little while. I hate feeling like this. I hate it. Where are you going? Are you leaving?
Gernot. I’m going to go call the doctor to come over. Is that all right with you?
Lena. Yes. That’ll be fine.
Gernot. You are little on edge. You need to calm down. I’ll call the doctor and get you a glass of water.
Lena. Wait.
Gernot. What is it?
Lena. Did you hear that?
Gernot. Hear what?
Lena. That.
Gernot. I don’t hear anything.
Lena. Where are you going?
Gernot. I’m going to call the doctor and get you the glass of water.
Lena. No, don’t leave.
Gernot. I’ll be right back.
Lena. There he is again!
End. Motioning Away
levtwentysixsixteen