Friday, March 14, 2003

Jacek. The Super left his keys in one of the stairway doors.
Florin. Really? Do you have them?
Jacek. I struggled with the notion of taking the keys. If I had access to the entire apartment building, what would I do? Stealing would be too easy, but then I thought I should just go into an apartment and see what came to me.
Florin. You broke into an apartment?
Jacek. I knocked on the door first to make sure no one was in. Do they have a name for the occasional dizziness you have when you go into another person’s place? It was the same apartment as mine, but made different because of the arrangement of the furniture, and this particular couple’s love for things apple.
Florin. Apple?
Jacek. They had a bowl of apples, photos of apples, I checked to see what kind of soap they had, and it was an apple scent.
Florin. Was there apple cider in the refrigerator?
Jacek. Yes, there was, and I poured myself a drink. There’s an interesting offsetting balance when pouring cider from a plastic jug. I sat down at their kitchen table looking out their window. They have a nice view of the park. When I was done, I washed the glass and left.
Florin. You enjoyed it, didn’t you?
Jacek. I was expecting them to come in and catch me drinking their apple cider. I wonder what I would have done.
End. Strange Apples