Wednesday, March 05, 2003

Boeme. Hey, what’s wrong?
Josine. I’m not normal.
Boeme. You just figured this out?
Josine. Maybe I knew that I'm not, but now, I almost want to be.
Boeme. What happened?
Josine. Before going to work, I planned to go to a stationary store to buy a pen. There’s this store that I just found, and it seemed like a pretty nice store. It wasn’t the best laid out, nor did it have the biggest selection, but I think I liked it because it was on my way to work. Anyway, I went today to get a pen, but when I walked up to the store, all there was was the sign above the front window. The whole store was cleaned out. There’s absolutely nothing left.
Boeme. Wait. How does this make you not normal?
Josine. That's the thing. I actually enjoyed the fact that the store was cleaned out. I stayed there, staring into the store, imagining the owner watching his store diminish pen by pen, paper by paper.
Boeme. Maybe the store moved.
Josine. There was no sign, but I didn’t want to believe that they moved anyway. I enjoyed the feeling I had knowing that the store is no longer there. I was even late for work. I need help, Boeme.
Boeme. I don’t know how to help you, Josine.
End. Enjoying the Loss of Others