Wednesday, August 28, 2002

Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. Oh, hello.
Alfred. Um, hi.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. It’s been a while. I haven’t seen you all summer.
Alfred. Yeah well, I’ve been meaning to. You know, I could relax and read a magazine or a book.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. But you haven’t. The summer’s just about done, you know.
Alfred. I know. I guess it’s because it didn’t seem natural to come up here anymore.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. But it was so natural three months ago.
Alfred. Yeah, I know. You were the place for me to concentrate. I guess I have nothing to concentrate on anymore.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. Then what do you do, since you haven’t been coming here anymore?
Alfred. I don’t know. I’m just doing things that people need me to do. Someone wants something moved, I’ll help out. Another person needs me to read over an essay, I’ll do it. I’m just helping people out. It’s been something I’ve been doing for years now. I’m flowing to places where I am needed. I don’t try to force my direction. I am an empty vessel.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. You’re probably studying in Carlson. It’s the hours, isn’t it. I’m not open long enough for you.
Alfred. No, not at all. I haven’t even been hanging out at cafes to drink tea or lemonade.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. Really? Not even Welles-Brown?
Alfred. Not even Welles-Brown.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. But you’re leaving soon. Won’t you miss me?
Alfred. Sure, I will. Only you have copies of Sight and Sound.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. Why don’t you come in, sit down, and check out the latest issue?
Alfred. Well, I actually have to go now. I just wanted to say good-bye.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. Oh.
Alfred. Good-bye.
Martin E. Messinger Periodical Reading Room. Good-bye.