Sunday, August 18, 2002

Umberto. Oh, hi.
Astrud. Hello.
Umberto. Did you just get here?
Astrud. Yes, but I’m not really settled in yet. By September twenty-third you can tell the others that I’m here.
Umberto. But you’ll be leaving again.
Astrud. Of course.
Umberto. When?
Astrud. Already, you want to know when I’ll be leaving when I haven’t even settled down yet?
Umberto. I’m sorry. You’re just here for such a short time. Everything’s so rushed.
Astrud. I’ll be leaving on the twenty-second of December. I believe it’s a good ninety days that I’ll be here.
Umberto. You could stay longer.
Astrud. Then everyone will be tired of me. They’ll ask, “When will Astrud finally leave? She’s been here much too long.”
Umberto. I can’t imagine anyone saying that.
Astrud. I’m getting hungry. A hearty soup with warm bread would be nice.
Umberto. I know a place. Would you like to go?
Astrud. Of course.
Umberto. Where will you go when you leave us?
Astrud. Again, asking about my leaving. You should enjoy the time I’m here until I go to South America, Australia. Somewhere there.
Umberto. I wonder what autumn is like in Australia?
Astrud. You should come and visit.
Umberto. I should.