Friday, August 16, 2002

Cloud. You don’t know Korean.

Alfred. It’s a good thing I know English or else I would be completely useless.

Cloud into Fish. How are you supposed to live in Korea if you don’t know Korean?

Alfred. How am I supposed to live in India, the Philippines, French Polynesia, Nepal, and China without knowing their respective languages? You’d be surprised with my Korean. If I am able to speak as much as I can comprehend, then I’ll be off to North Korea.

Fish into Pig. North Korea? What are you talking about? You’re going to fail, you won’t even find a job.

Alfred. I’ve failed many times in my life, it’s not a new thing, but for some reason I still keep going. I tried with purpose to ruin my life repeatedly, but I’ve failed at that too. I don’t blame you for doubting me. Hey, even I doubt myself, but I know that God is in control.

Pig into Horse. No, it’s because you are stupid and lucky.

Alfred. For six years? Well, then when will it stop?

Horse into Pair of Lips. When you go to Korea. I’ll then smile and kiss you good bye.

Alfred into Haruki Murakami. If your concern for my life is only to bring me down, then your words are like the clouds in the sky. They have nothing to do with me. I’m not sure what would happen if I were to blow smoke from a cigarette into a jar and close the lid, but it does sound like an interesting thing to do.

In the mountains of Korea, I watched a cable car ascend on a single black cable curling into the mountains. The cable car with its passengers looking out the windows disappeared into the haze of clouds. I found a pool of fresh water within several boulders. I decided to swim in my boxers.