Thursday, August 08, 2002

One. I want to steal that clock.
Two. Which one? That? It’s so ...
One. So what?
Two. I don’t know. It’s kind of plain.
One. No, no. Look at the numbers, and the red sweeping hand. I have to have it.
Two. Well, why don’t you buy something like it legitimately?
One. You have to understand. This clock above the chalkboard is the clock that I want. I don’t want something like it all nice and wrapped up in a store for me to purchase. Anyone can do that. By physically stealing this clock, I make it mine. It’s a much bigger sacrifice than tossing twenty dollars at some clerk.
Two. You would pay twenty dollars for this clock?
One. No. I refuse to pay anything for this clock. Money minimized the importance of gain. It is a greater gain if you plowed the fields, sowed the seeds, and harvested the crops with you bare hands then paying ninety-nine cents per pound of tomatoes.
Two. But there is a difference between harvesting and stealing. Do you really believe stealing the clock with your hands will be a greater gain than paying for it?
One. Yes.
Two. Why don’t you leave twenty dollars, take the clock, and leave a note explaining your greater gain theory?
One. That’s a reasonable compromise.
Two. Yeah, I think so. What...?
One. Do you have twenty dollars?
Two. Here.
One. Thanks.