Sunday, August 25, 2002

Nigel. It’s a beautiful piece of furniture.
Marco. It should go well with the hard floors.
Nigel. Your wife should enjoy it.
Marco. I’m divorced.
Nigel. Oh, I’m sorry.
Marco. That’s all right. I’m free now. I bought myself a farm, and this is my first piece of furniture.
Nigel. A farm, really?
Marco. My grandfather was a farmer. I feel like going back to it.
Nigel. What about your previous home? Did your ex-wife get that?
Marco. Nah, we both let it go, but the hardest thing to let go of were my trees. I had eleven Norwegian Spruces lined up in my back yard. I took care of them when they were only up to my waist. Now they’re three times as big as me. I would get up in the middle of the night to water those damn things. I watched them grow every year. They were mine. Well ... it’s time to move on.
Nigel. Here’s your receipt. Do you need help carrying that?
Marco. Nah, I can manage myself.