Saturday, December 28, 2002

One.
Ortho. Do you have stamps?
Ravi. With me? No.
Ortho. You have stamps elsewhere?
Ravi. Yes.
Ortho. What kind of stamps? Are they American stamps?
Ravi. Yes.
Ortho. I would like to see your American stamps. May I see them?
Ravi. I don’t have them with me.
Ortho. I want to see your stamps. I want to buy your stamps.
Ravi. I can bring you my stamps.
Ortho. Yes. Please bring your stamps to me.
Ravi. I will.
Ortho. Are they fresh stamps?
Ravi. Very fresh.
Ortho. Good. You are a good person.
Ravi. Thank you. I will come back with my stamps.
Ortho. Yes. Thank you.

Two.
Ravi. I had the most bizarre conversation with this man today.
Soia. Really?
Ravi. He had these thick glasses that enlarged his eyes.
Soia. Well, what did he say?
Ravi. He asked me if I had stamps.
Soia. Stamps?
Ravi. He asked me to see my stamps.
Soia. Really?
Ravi. I was confused, but I told him that I would bring my stamps to him.
Soia. What does he want to do with your stamps?
Ravi. I don’t know. Mail something?
Soia. He asked you for stamps?
Ravi. He asked if they were American stamps and asked if they were fresh.
Soia. Of course they would be American. What else could they be?
Ravi. I don’t think he knows he’s in America. He was an old man. Maybe he was an avid collector when he was younger.
Soia. How strange. Why did he ask you if they were fresh?
Ravi. I have no idea. Maybe he likes the taste of stamps.
Soia. I would like to meet the person who likes the taste of stamps.
Ravi. You have a chance now.
End. The Taste of Stamps