Tuesday, December 24, 2002

Maeni. Hello.
Katia. Hello?
Maeni. You’re a zoner aren’t you?
Katia. Am I a zoner? Is that what you’re asking me?
Maeni. You are, aren’t you?
Katia. I don’t know. Am I?
Maeni. I think you are.
Katia. How do you know that?
Maeni. You’re not using a coaster.
Katia. You’re right. I’m not.
Maeni. And the ring of water from your cup.
Katia. Yes?
Maeni. You’ve been playing with it, spreading drops of water out from the ring with your straw.
Katia. That’s true.
Maeni. Even when that man dropped his tray in front of you, you were still concentrated on the water ring.
Katia. There was a man?
Maeni. He even said sorry. Look. There are stains of ketchup on your shoes from the burger he dropped.
Katia. So there are.
Maeni. You’re a zoner. You live in another world.
Katia. I guess I do. Are you going to help me?
Maeni. No, I want to ask you out to dinner.
End. Zoner