Saturday, June 21, 2003

Mouna. Do you believe in the devil?
Girolamo. I don’t know. I really never thought about it.
Mouna. So, no. Right?
Girolamo. No for now. I might change my mind later.
Mouna. Okay, then think about what you’re thinking and how it differs from when you’re happy. Right now, you're convincing yourself to just give up on everything. Maybe you’re even starting to hate yourself and regret the life you led, I don’t know, but what you’re thinking is very different from your thoughts when everything is fine.
Girolamo. Well, of course. When you’re happy, you’re happy. When you’re sad, you’re sad.
Mouna. Yes, but when you’re sad you want to self-destruct, and not only do you find reasons to self-destruct, but you find ways to self-destruct. Don’t you want to just destroy everything you’ve built up in your life?
Girolamo. Yes, but some of these things, I do need to destroy.
Mouna. But you don’t need to destroy everything. There is something inside of you trying to convince you to self-destruct. It’s like a second personality. You know how Schizophrenics develop multiple personalities? Well, I really think that we all have these multiple personalities. They convince us that we’re pretty, ugly, smart, stupid.
Girolamo. So I have another personality that’s trying to convince me that I should die?
Mouna. You have to realize that that’s not your real personality.
Girolamo. Where do these other personalities come from?
Mouna. I don’t know, but with Schizophrenics, they actually manifest their personalities. Since we don’t, I think we don’t realize that we have separated personalities. If we saw and heard one of our personalities, we would almost immediately realize that it was not real.
Girolamo. So which personality is the real one? Which should I listen to?
Mouna. Your real personality is the listening one, the one that makes decisions. You just need to make the right decision.
Girolamo. Well, I guess I have some thinking to do.
End. First Second