Sunday, April 20, 2003

Elek. What are you thinking about?
Seleia. I was thinking about swimming to that sandbar.
Elek. You should.
Seleia. How far do you think it is?
Elek. I don’t know. Fifty yards?
Seleia. Yeah, you’re probably right.
Elek. Do you think you can make it?
Seleia. I’m pretty sure I can, but look at the water.
Elek. What about it?
Seleia. It’s dark. It makes me feel uneasy. I keep on thinking of things unseen between here and the sandbar. I’m actually afraid to go out there. Can you believe it?
Elek. It makes sense, but I don’t think anything’s out there in the water. At least anything consequential.
Seleia. I keep imagining myself swimming through clear, deep blue water. I look down, but then I’m afraid of what I can’t see beyond the deep blue. I feel there will be something that will appear from under me, and I am absolutely helpless to do anything. I know the water’s grey here, but I’m feeling the same sort of fear inside me. It’s keeping from my going out there, to the sandbar.
Elek. I’ll swim with you, if you like.
Seleia. I thought about asking you, but the fear is still strong. I wouldn’t want to go even if you swam with me.
Elek. Why don’t I just go out there, and you can watch?
Seleia. Elek?
Elek. Yeah?
Seleia. I feel like I’m crumbling.
End. Crumbling into the Ocean