Monday, April 07, 2003

Uncle Gellert. Hey there, Antal.
Antal. Hi, Uncle Gellert.
Uncle Gellert. Your dad tells me that you’re about to mow the lawn.
Antal. Yeah. I have to do it every Saturday before I can play with my friends.
Uncle Gellert. When I was your age, I had to mow the lawn too. I was the only one who mowed the lawn though. Your father has allergies, so he used that as an excuse not to mow the lawn.
Antal. Yeah, Dad’s allergies are pretty bad.
Uncle Gellert. You’ve been to Granddad’s house, right?
Antal. Yeah.
Uncle Gellert. That was the lawn I had to mow when I was your age. The house next door and across the street from the house always had better lawns then we did. Those lawns were always greener, cut straighter, even the edges had a sharpness that my lawn never had. I experimented with different blades, fertilizers, even water schedules, but my lawn would never achieve the level of quality of my neighbors'. Then one day, I bumped into the neighbor across the street from us at a hardware store. He was buying a new blade for his lawn mower. I wanted to go up to him and ask him what his secret was, but I didn’t. You know why I didn’t ask, Antal?
Antal. Why?
End. It’s Just Grass