Wednesday, April 09, 2003

Reka. How well do you know Beatta?
Tasuro. Beatta? I don’t know. I know her, she knows me. We haven’t really gotten into any real conversations. Why?
Reka. I saw her yesterday, and we were talking about you.
Tasuro. Yeah?
Reka. But she was talking about you as if you two were really old friends. I was a little confused.
Tasuro. What was she saying?
Reka. Just what a really sincere guy you were.
Tasuro. Maybe she just a good judge of character.
Reka. It made me sick really, the way she talked about you. She has this utmost admiration for you, but she shouldn’t.
Tasuro. I don’t know if I should be offended by that.
Reka. You don’t deserve her admiration. You never really talked to her. How can she know what kind of person you are?
Tasuro. Oh, we did talk about one thing.
Reka. What was it about?
Tasuro. We actually had a light argument about “American Beauty”
Reka. Oh really?
Tasuro. She was saying that “American Beauty” was a perfect example of American suburban life, while I was saying that the example was too perfect where it was not real, but then she said that that was the point, that it was a spoof on American suburban life. I acknowledged the spoof then countered that the spoof itself tried too hard to incorporate everything that’s wrong with suburban life, that it was too general, thus making Kevin Spacey’s character watered down and impersonal, and at least to me, unlikable, which was unfortunate because I really like Kevin Spacey as an actor.
Reka. I do too. He was amazing in “L.A. Confidential.” He should have won Best Supporting Actor that year.
Tasuro. Who won?
Reka. Robin Williams for “Good Will Hunting.”
Tasuro. Which is why I don’t watch the Oscars.
Reka. So that’s the only conversation you had?
Tasuro. What conversation?
Reka. With Beatta.
Tasuro. Oh yeah.
End. Argument So Light