Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Sigrid. What’s this?
Franziska. It’s a gift for your birthday. Happy Birthday.
Sigrid. Well, gee. Thanks. I didn’t anything for you though. I’m quite embarrassed.
Franziska. Oh, shut up.
Sigrid. Should I open it now?
Franziska. Before you open it, I want to tell you a story about your gift.
Sigrid. Okay?
Franziska. I was looking for your gift at a department store the other day. I was kind of having a hard time about it. What would the perfect gift for Sigrid be?
Sigrid. Chocolates and flowers would be nice.
Franziska. Anyway, as I was looking, this little boy took my hand.
Sigrid. Did you know him?
Franziska. No, he thought I was his mother, but when he realized I wasn’t his mother, had had this look of embarrassed confusion brushed on his face. But in that moment of pretense, I actually felt like a mother. I didn’t want to let go. You can open your present now.
Sigrid. I don’t think I should.
End. Moment of Pretense