Sunday, February 02, 2003

Irina. So, how was it?
Herve. How was what?
Irina. You’re counseling session. Are you going back?
Herve. I think I am.
Irina. You are? Why? I thought you were going to amuse yourself and go only once.
Herve. Yeah, but.
Irina. You enjoyed it, didn’t you? You enjoyed talking about yourself.
Herve. She’s originally from Baltimore, probably went to Berkley for her PhD, at least somewhere in San Francisco.
Irina. Yeah?
Herve. She’s been to Philadelphia, but I’m not sure why. Maybe a previous job. She also specializes in eating disorders.
Irina. She told you all this?
Herve. Not really. I kind of have to figure it out myself. We were talking about Philadelphia and she knew the places I’ve been to. And I saw in her bookshelf a book about eating disorders.
Herve. Maybe she has an eating disorder.
Irina. I would not keep a book about eating disorders on a bookshelf if I had an eating disorder, though she did drink a diet Canada Dry during our session.
Irina. You might want to keep an eye out on that. What else do you know about her?
Herve. She’s seen “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,” “Annie Hall,” but a long time ago, “Good Will Hunting,” “Deconstructing Harry,” and some movie called “Mr. Jealousy.”
Irina. Never heard of it.
Herve. It something about a counseling group session gone wrong.
Irina. Makes sense.
Herve. She does not seem to enjoy the cold, or maybe she's just sensitive to it. During the session, she kept her arms folded, even when walking me out of her office.
Irina. Maybe she’s insecure.
Herve. No, when talking to her, she tries to maintain eye contact. She even bends over to meet my eyes if I’m looking down.
Irina. Is she married?
Herve. And pregnant, she’s showing a bit.
Irina. Maybe it’s her eating disorder.
Herve. I don’t know, maybe.
Irina. So you’re going back to see her?
Herve. Yeah, I don’t think I know her well enough.
Irina. You’re not supposed to know her.
Herve. Well, she’s leaving too many signs of her life. I’m a bit curious. That, and she looks like Uma Thurman.
Irina. I knew it.
End. Ulterior Counseling