Monday, January 19, 2004

Kave. I got the job.
Nuala. You did? Finally. How do you feel?
Kave. I don’t know if I’m going to take it or not.
Nuala. What do you mean? You’ve been waiting for them to respond for how long now?
Kave. Five months.
Nuala. What happened?
Kave. I came here because I had an understanding that I had a job here, but all of the sudden I don’t have a job with them. Now they come to me saying that they now have a job for me. Five months.
Nuala. I know.
Kave. I cannot believe they make me wait five months. I hate to admit it, but I’ll probably take the job.
Nuala. What’s wrong with that?
Kave. I’m only taking it because I have no self-respect. Whatever I had disappeared during those five months. I would like to say that I could refuse the job just flat out, but taking this job would make my life easier.
Nuala. Then take it. I don’t see anything wrong in taking it.
Kave. I’m like a kid who’s been refused to be given a toy, but when the toy is given to the kid, the kid refuses it.
Nuala. It’s stubborn pride.
Kave. Of which I have very little.
End. A Five Month Process