Thursday, January 01, 2004

Galius. I can’t help think about the countdown to New Year’s, Arben.
Arben. What about it?
Galius. It’s a countdown, and I think consciously or unconsciously (I can’t tell) I feel like when the time reaches 12:00
, something horrible will happen.
Arben. Like what?
Galius. I think it has to do with computer scare when 2000 was near. I can’t shake the notion that the entire world runs on computers, and if they shut down, this world would cease to function. I would not be surprised if an old computer responsible for Earth’s rotation was buried near the center of the Earth.
Arben. A what?
Galius. 2000 would come and the computer at the center of the earth would think it was the year 1000, but then it wouldn’t matter because the computer would continue to control the Earth’s rotation as if it was the year 1000.
Galius. So then there’s nothing to be worried about, right?
Arben. But what if a team of scientists found this computer and realized the year was wrong and decided to correct the problem?
Galius. Then the computer’s year would be correct. No harm, right?
Arben. I’m not sure. What if the computer was programmed to stop the Earth’s rotation in the year 2004?
Galius. Then I guess we would be floating in our cars.
End. The Computer Buried Near the Center of the Earth