Friday, January 16, 2004

Ekram. I passed this guy on a payphone in the subway today.
Enza. Oh?
Ekram. He stopped me and asked me for a quarter. He couldn’t find one in his pockets or his jacket. It looked like he was in a rush.
Enza. Did you give him a quarter?
Ekram. I did, but it made me think. I usually don’t give change to beggars asking for money, but I just gave this guy a quarter just because he had (in my initial mind) a legitimate reason to ask for a quarter. He immediately needed a quarter to continue his conversation. I saw that, so I decided to help.
Enza. Right. Makes sense.
Ekram. But what about beggars in general? They ask for change in order to get a meal, which would be more important than a phone call, but see. What are beggars buying with their change? Is it food? Beer? I really don’t know.
Enza. So it’s easier for you to give a quarter to the guy at the payphone because you know he’s going to use it for the payphone.
Ekram. Right, which makes this guy a genius.
Enza. Why?
Ekram. Cause there was no one on the other side of that telephone call.
End. Dialtone for Quarters