Wednesday, July 30, 2003

Nabil. You’re getting married soon.
Svetlana. I hate it.
Nabil. What do you mean?
Svetlana. All the things we’re doing to get this marriage going are changing me for the worse. I’ve become hysterical. I’ve never cried and yelled so much in my life. I sometimes step back and listen to myself scream. I’m in absolute disbelief. Where did this come from?
Nabil. You’re going through a lot of pressure from a lot of people.
Svetlana. But it’s for a marriage. This is not like people are dying from a rare disease and it’s up to me to save them. This is just two people agreeing to share their lives together. What happened to the celebration in that? When did it become the worst times of our lives?
Nabil. Well it’s probably because everyone wants so much for your marriage to go perfectly, but everyone has a different ideal of what the perfect wedding should be.
Svetlana. Invitations, though? Who cares about the perfect invitation? I was ripping my hair out over what the invitations looked like with my mother in law. Scissors kept snipping in my mind. And look at this.
Nabil. What is that?
Svetlana. It’s a rash. I just hope it doesn’t spread to my face when the wedding finally does come.
Nabil. It’s killing you isn’t it?
Svetlana. No, it’s just twisting me into forty differently sized knots. I count them when I finally go to bed.
Nabil. You should never get married again.
Svetlana. I wonder if this is preparing me for babies.
End. Allergic to Marriage