Wednesday, October 22, 2003

Inessa. I'm a little worried about Armen.
Gasan. Armen? Why? What's going on?
Inessa. I just saw him before he left for work. He looked like death was waiting to take him by the hand around the corner to disappear.
Gasan. I wonder what's wrong?
Inessa. I stopped him because he didn't recognize me. I asked him if there was something wrong. He told me that he just hopes someone, anyone would give him a smile, so I gave him a smile.
Gasan. That was nice. Did he feel better?
Inessa. I hope so.
Gasan. Sounds like he needs something good to affect his life.
Inessa. I feel like he's on the brink, but I don't know what he would do exactly. I'm a little afraid. He can be quite extreme.
Gasan. Violent?
Inessa. Yes, but more toward himself.
Gasan. Do you think he'll hurt himself?
Inessa. If he has reason to, I think so.
Gasan. Why would he hurt himself?
Inessa. Cause he doesn't like himself so much.
Gasan. So hurting himself would be a sort of self-punishment?
Inessa. But does it really help anything?
Gasan. If he doesn't think there's anything to help, then maybe self-punishment is the only thing he can take control of. Like people committing suicide, for some of them, taking one's life is almost like taking control of one's life.
Inessa. Gasan?
Gasan. Yes?
Inessa. I need a smile, too.
End. Gasan Smiles