Tuesday, September 02, 2003

Joachim. What do you have in the bag?
Saori. A box of whistles and a box of chalk.
Joachim. What for?
Saori. I really don’t know. I’m not surprised about getting the box of chalk. I enjoy the sound of the pieces sliding and clicking against each other in the box. It’s very clean and familiar, but I am surprised about the whistles. There’s nothing familiar about them. Whistles have nothing to do with me, but I had this urge to get them as well.
Joachim. Does it have to do with the box itself? What about a box of matches?
Saori. But matches make sense. I have distinct memories with matches, but I really want to know what my fascination is with these whistles. Not until I saw these whistles did I have any feelings for them. I could have lived my entire life without own any whistles.
Joachim. But now you have a box of twenty.
Saori. I do have a small memory of whistles in general when I was a kid, but it doesn’t have a specific place or time. I think I was most interested in the ball found inside each whistle, how it would shake inside the hollow of the whistle, and that I could only touch it through the blowhole opening with the tip of my pinky finger. I remember would even try to touch it with my tongue. That said, I can’t say that the reason why I got a box of whistles was because of the ball inside each one. That would make me some sort of nut case, don’t you think?
Joachim. Do you want to open each whistle to get to the ball?
Saori. Do you know where we can get a pair of metal cutters?
End. Boxes to Open