Thursday, July 11, 2002

Man: Here.
Girl: What’s this?
Man: It’s cereal.
Girl: I know it’s cereal. Duh. What kind is it?
Man: Product 19.
Girl: What is that?
Man: What. You never heard of Product 19?
Girl: I like Golden Grahams. Only lame people eat this stuff.
Man: Well, what the hell do you want for breakfast?
Girl: I’m not hungry.
Man: Here, have some juice.
Girl: I don’t want your poisoned juice!
Man: *Throws glass against refrigerator while magnets holding papers and coupons slowly slide down* It’s not poisoned! *Girl screams* I’m not trying to poison you! Damn it! *Goes to cabinet for another glass a pours juice into it* It’s not poisoned. Look. *Drinks from glass* See? It’s not poisoned. Just drink your juice. I’m not trying to poison you.
Girl: Why did you kidnap me? What do you want?
Man: At four o’clock, I have an appointment with your mother. I’ll tell her that I have you at my house, and then she’ll ask me questions, then probably call the police.
Girl: She won’t call the police.
Man: Why not?
Girl: She doesn’t love me.
Man: No. She does love you. You’ll see.
Girl: She doesn’t love me, *starts to cry* she won’t call the police. She hates me.
Man: She does love you. She’ll call the police. Do you know how I know your mother loves you?
Girl: How?
Man: Cause sometimes when I talk about how lonely I am, I can tell that she’s feeling the same emptiness I’m feeling, but then she looks at the photo of you on her desk and it gives her a peace.

Seeing my counselor ٥ Alfred Lee

For several months, I have seen a counselor once a week.
She would lead me into her room with a two-cushion sofa, blue
As the sky carrying clouds on the verge
Of disappearing.
Together, we discussed the on going hatred I have
For myself.

Today, her secretary who I would greet
With eye contact and a genuine smile
Telephones me and explains that
My counselor needs to cancel all of her appointments including mine.
It strikes me that she is seeing others.
I wonder where I fit in.

Looking down onto the white tiles of my kitchen,
I thought quickly
And told the secretary
The reason why she had to cancel her appointments
was that I kidnapped her daughter.

Is it my mommy?

No, it’s your mommy’s secretary.

I told you she didn’t love me.

No, she does love you.
She just doesn’t know where you are.
Now, she’ll know, so she’ll call,
Because she loves you.

I let Jane pick up when the phone rang again.
Hello? Hi, mommy …
I’m fine …
No …
Yes, he’s right here.
She wants to talk to you.

With a voice as calm s the mirror like surfaces of lakes found in Colorado,
I reassure Jane’s mother.
“Jane’s not hurt, and she’s not going to be harmed by my hands.

I’ve never heard my counselor cry before.
Listening to her trying to control her voice through her tears made her words different,
More distinct.
She truly loved her daughter.

“There is nothing to worry about. I’ve already called the police. I told them I’ve kidnapped your daughter.”

Forgetting our sessions together, she asked me why I was doing this.

I hung up the phone at a knock on the door.
It’s the police to take me out of my life.
Perhaps I should resist.