Thursday, July 04, 2002

I did not realize you were an actual person, Mr. Rush Rhees. Hello. How does it feel lying under six feet of earth for all this time? You’re dead, and in a lot of ways, I feel like I’m dead too. Since we have that in common, I find it that much easier to talk to you. But it’s not only that. It’s because of the library those money grubbing political heads decided to name after you: Rush Rhees Library. There is nothing magical about the library. It just so happened the lighting was perfect, the desks were spacious, chairs cushy, and if appropriate, I would have played with the feet of girls sitting across from me. Hats off to you, Mr. Rush Rhees. Maybe they named the library after you because of your wealth and that you had owned the most slaves in town.

Generic Rochesterian 1: See that there Rush Rhees? He’s a good man. Look at the number of slaves he has.
Generic Rochesterian 2: Yup yup, but when through this little scam I’m developing, I’ll have twice as many slaves then that there Rush Rhees. Look at him standing tall like that. Hey, Rush! You don’t got that many slaves! You a puny man, Rush Rhees! You’ll be my slave! You’ll see! I love this town!
-Both 1 and 2 laugh-

Well, thanks Rush. The library they named after you kept me sane, but sometimes I wish it didn’t.