Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Faisal. Abdel, get up.
Abdel. What are you doing in my bedroom, Faisal?
Faisal. They opened up the
Jordan border. Can you believe it?
Abdel. No, I cannot. Now let me sleep.
Faisal. You don’t understand, Abdel. We can go to
Jordan and come back with a used-car.
Abdel. Who do you think I am? How am I supposed to get a car?
Faisal. They have cheap used cars in
Jordan.
Abdel. Who told you this?
Faisal. Lutfu. He’s taking his truck and his son to get a car for himself.
Abdel. He’s crazy. He has a nice truck. Why does he need another car?
Faisal. Because they’re cheap.
Abdel. How cheap?
Faisal. Three hundred and twenty five.
Abdel. Why do you need to lie to get me out of my bed?
Faisal. I do not lie to you.
Abdel. I’ve always wanted to drive down the new highway.
Faisal. I know.
Abdel. Does the Wadi El Murbah travel all the way to
Amman?
Faisal. I’m not sure. I believe so.
Abdel. We can float in the
Dead Sea.
Faisal. Are you awake now?
End. Awake in the
Dead Sea