Tuesday, December 09, 2003

One.
Yoichi. It’s been a while since I sat down and read a book.
Kikuko. What’s stopping you?
Yoichi. I guess I forgot that I used to read often.
Kikuko. You’re lucky enough to remember.
Yoichi. Know any authors I can read?
Kikuko. John le Cárre.
Yoichi. Who’s that?
Kikuko. I don’t know really. I read this short story by Haruki Murakami, and the protagonist was on vacation reading a novel by John le Cárre by the side of a pool in Thailand. I’ve been meaning to pick up one of his novels to see any correlations. By the way John le Cárre was referenced, he seemed to be this chic author not many people know about. I’m not even sure he exists at all.
Yoichi. John le Cárre. I wonder who he is. Everything’s up in the air. I’ll look him up.

Two.
Yoichi. Hi, I’m looking for novels by an author named John le Cárre. I can’t seem to find him under “l” or “c.”
Clerk. You’ll find him under “l” in the mystery section.
Yoichi. Ah, mystery.
End. Under Mystery