Monday, December 08, 2003

Bahia. Did you do it?
Erast. I’ll be leaving the job in two weeks.
Bahia. Congratulations. How does it feel?
Erast. I feel guilty.
Bahia. Guilty? Really? Not relieved?
Erast. I met the manager to talk about my leaving.
Bahia. Ms. Sansushkin, right?
Erast. Right. When I told her that I was planning to leave, she asked me when, and I told her in two weeks, but then her face changed. It reminded me of Ginette.
Bahia. Ginette? Your ex-girlfriend?
Erast. Yeah. When I told Ms. Sansushkin I was leaving in two weeks, she looked the same Ginette looked when I broke up with her. She took a moment, looked down at nothing, then gathered herself to ask me more questions. It’s like she gave up and accepted that I was leaving.
Bahia. Do you regret it?
Erast. Why did I think leaving would be so easy?
End. Giving Notice