Monday, February 16, 2004

Ai. There’s my friend in the middle of the row. You can give half to him and I’ll take the rest.
Theater Usher. If you can take this, sir.
Marianthi. Um, okay? I got it. Thank you.
Theater Usher. Enjoy the movie.
Ai. Thanks.
Marianthi. What is all this?
Ai. Two drinks, one for you and one for me, a popcorn to share, gummy bears, snowcaps, and this is a hot dog with chili and cheese. Oh, do you want a pickle?
Marianthi. Yes?
Ai. Napkin?
Marianthi. Thanks. You know, I don’t think I ever remember you getting anything ever at the concession stands whenever we watch a movie.
Ai. Yeah, it’s a rule of mine not to.
Marianthi. But now?
Ai. Do you know why we make rules, Marianthi?
Marianthi. I guess to keep things in order.
Ai. Right. I made this rule of not eating anything when watching a movie because I wanted to experience the entire movie as a pure whole. I want to devote my entire attention towards whatever is presented on the screen in front of me and not have any distractions like eating popcorn and finding a place for the bag when you’re done. You have rules like that, don’t you?
Marianthi. Sure, I don’t go to movies or restaurants alone.
Ai. Have you ever?
Marianthi. I have, and it’s not a pleasant experience. I become extremely paranoid.
Ai. Do you think you could just go to the movies by yourself?
Marianthi. There has to be certain circumstances for me to go to the movies by myself.
Ai. Like what?
Marianthi. Actually, I would go see a Woody Allen movie by myself. No one really goes to see his films anymore, so it’s interesting to laugh with the few people in a theater watching, but I guess in that way I don’t really feel like I’m watching it all by myself. We’re all watching by ourselves in a way. At least, that’s how I think of it.
Ai. What if I left?
Marianthi. What do you mean? Leave now?
Ai. Yeah. What if I just left you with all this food?
Marianthi. Well then, in theory, this would be my worst nightmare come real - Eating a meal and watching a movie alone.
Ai. Would you really eat all this and watch the movie?
Marianthi. Probably not.
Ai. It’s really tempting to leave.
Marianthi. I’d understand if you did.
Ai. You would?
Marianthi. You need to.
Ai. I’m afraid I do.
End. Getting Up
onesamseventeensixteen