Sunday, August 03, 2003

Moumen. What’s that in your hand?
Selima. Oh this? It’s a plastic bag that followed me home.
Moumen. I’m sorry?
Selima. I was walking home from work, and this bag first kept close to my ankles, so I didn’t think much of it, but it just kept following me.
Moumen. The plastic bag?
Selima. It must have been blown from the street market nearby. It’s a windy day.
Moumen. You can’t really believe that that bag followed you home.
Selima. At first, I didn’t, but everywhere I went, it would follow me. I really think this bag has emotional qualities. There was a time when I didn’t see the bag, but then when I turned around, I found it peeking at me from around a corner. It was shy, so I encouraged it to come and follow me. I mean, it’s just a bag. It’s not going to hurt me.
Moumen. Are you okay? Did you hit your head on something?
Selima. I feel fine. I just don’t know how to take care of a plastic bag. What do I feed it? Would it be happy if I filled it with items like apples and oranges?
Moumen. Come with me, there’s a hospital near here.
Selima. I’m fine really. I know you think I’m nuts for treating a plastic bag like a pet, but you had to be there. No one’s going to believe me, but I saw it follow me. I saw it shy away from me. I wasn’t imagining that.
Moumen. Okay, I kind of want to believe you as crazy as this sounds. Can you show me, then? Can you put the bag down and have it follow you?
Selima. Yes, that’s a good idea.
Here, let me put you down.
Can you see that it doesn’t want to be put down? That it’s clinging to my arm now?
It’s okay. I’ll put you down then you can just come right back into my arms. Okay good. There you go.
Oh no, where are you going? Why are you running away?

You think I’m crazy don’t you?
Moumen. It is a windy day.
End. Not so Plastic Bag