Sunday, June 09, 2002

The night I ate an Original Grand Slam Breakfast from Dennys, I dreamt that I was married to Korrine Clark. Reality: Korrine is married to Aaron Larson, both of whom just had their first baby. In the dream, Aaron passed away, so I in turn and strangely enough married Korrine. Together we lived in an apartment that had an extended hallway leading into a living room that looked onto other apartments through a large movie screen of a window. With a pair of binoculars, I was able to look across into Cartic’s apartment.

I first met Cartic when Huyen drove me back to Rochester at the end of Thanksgiving weekend. Cartic rode up front with Huyen while I shifted in the back seat from right to left to right taking color photos of Western New York’s golden red autumn sun setting sky. Somewhere along the way from Quakertown, Pennsylvania to Rochester, New York, I learned that Cartic is from India.

One of the things I miss about India is their domestic sodas. There is of course Miranda in flavors of artificial orange, lime soda, and mango juice; Thumbs up cola and the occasional club soda.

I fantasize being a guest on Late Night with Conan O’Brian and as I sit down on the sofa to talk to Conan, I reveal two bottles of Duke’s Lemon from a paper bag that I’ve carried onto the set

Conan: Oh, I see you brought us some drinks. -Laughs nervously- What are these? Wine coolers?
Alfred: No, Conan. This is Duke’s Lemon. Try it.
Conan: Duke’s eh? -looks into the camera- Duke’s, the official drink of the Ku Klux Klan. -drinks Duke’s Lemon- Hey, this is not that bad. I feel like putting bed sheets on my horse.