Wednesday, May 22, 2002

A couple of weeks ago, I encountered the perfect rain. It was the type of rain that comes during the slight warmth of early spring. It's a sad nostalgic rain that creates quiet drops falling on a windshield before you start the car. Breathe deep enough and you can breathe in the rain, the sadness.

I look forward to the early humid evenings when the grey sky slowly rumbles with thunder. When the rain comes, it comes down in lines of water hitting the ground, creating quick circles within puddles. The heavy humid air breaks and the smell of wet grass and trees take its place.

I want to express the joy I have when studying in the periodical reading room on the second floor of the University of Rochester’s Rush Rhees Library. I considered working in the library, but I believe working in the library would make me despise it, so I've decided not to.

Library: What, I'm not good enough for you?
Alfred: No, it's not that. I just ...
Library: What?
Alfred: Please, let me try to finish what I was going to say.
Library: Fine.
Alfred: Thank you. Now what was I saying? Mmmm. Ack, I can't remember. Oh, oh yes, look, we're good friends right?
Library: Right...?
Alfred: I don't know. It's just that by working in you would, well, change what we have together. I have these great memories of studying, walking up stairs, taking the elevator, looking up books, all inside of you. All of these actions I've done on my own volition. What would happen to our relationship if I were forced to resort your books, or look for a book, or even check out strange books for complete strangers? I would be in a way working inside you for someone else that will come in between our relationship.
Library: You're such a purist. But if you worked inside of me, our relationship will become more intimate. You'll learn secrets about me, discover rooms, levels you've never thought existed. You'll have access to every room to me. Don't you want to know what more there is inside me?
Alfred: I don’t know. I'm so content with what we have now. I'm not sure I want go deeper.
Library: You bastard. I hate you.
Alfred: No, don't say that. You don't hate me.
Library: Don't talk to me ever again.
Alfred: You're getting too emotional. Are you willing to throw away our friendship?
Library: Just go. Get out. I don't want to see you now. You didn’t even see me during your graduation.
Alfred: I thought I explained this. Graduation means nothing to me. Seriously, if anything, graduating has put a my life on hold.
Library: What do you mean?
Alfred: I mean that at least I had a defined goal in during college: finish my degree. Now what? I’m in the same predicament as Dustin Hoffman was in The Graduate. I’m standing on a moving walkway in an airport looking blankly forward with Simon and Garfunkle singing in the background.
Library: Come on. Work here.
Alfred: I’m sorry. I really can’t. I’m done with this University, at least for the time being. Who knows? I might be back for graduate school to further delay facing the real world.
Library: I hope you do. Then you’ll come to study.
Alfred: Of course.