Friday, March 21, 2008

Moritz. I met the perfect couple the other day.
Prerana. What do you mean?
Moritz. My wife and I went to see a movie, and there was a young couple who sat next to us, and during the movie, both the guy and the girl were making comments to insignificant details of the movie.
Prerana. Oh, I hate that. What were they saying?
Moritz. The girl was like, “Oh, I would never wear something like that,” or, “I’ve been to London, and I don’t remember being there.” It was curiously obnoxious.
Prerana. Was it only the girl?
Moritz. That’s where they become the perfect couple. The guy would actually answer her with comments like, “You might not wear it, but I think your sister would,” and, “I think you’re right, it doesn’t have that British feel. It might not have been filmed in England, but somewhere cheaper.” They would talk like this all throughout the movie. It was like they were just sitting comfortably in a plushy couch at home watching whatever was on TV. They were not aware of anyone else.
Prerana. I think that would have gone wild.
Moritz. Yeah, it drove my wife crazy. She told me she had to say something, but I asked her not to.
Prerana. Why not?
Moritz. I wanted to understand this couple. They were perfect for each other. The girl found a boy who listens to her thoughts while the boy found a girl who is comfortable to share her thoughts with him.
Prerana. It sounds like you’re jealous.
Moritz. They created this invisible union between themselves and whatever was flickering in front of them. Nothing could separate them.
Prerana. I think I could find a way.
Moritz. And so did my wife. She finally let them know that we were involuntarily participating in their connection, but she didn’t say it like that.
Prerana. Good, they were being rude.
Moritz. But perfectly rude.
End. Perfectly Rude