Sunday, May 30, 2004

Ophelie. Hello.
Gurvarinder. Hello.
Ophelie. We met before. At the bus station.
Gurvarinder. That’s right.
Ophelie. Still reading the book, I see.
Gurvarinder. I’m a slow reader.
Ophelie. You never asked me if I gambled.
Gurvarinder. I’m sorry?
Ophelie. I asked you if you gambled.
Gurvarinder. Because of the book.
Ophelie. Yeah, but you never asked me if I gambled.
Gurvarinder. I guessed that you didn’t.
Ophelie. Really? Why?
Gurvarinder. You told me you finished the book in a day, but it wasn’t because counting cards was exciting to you, but because these counters were living the lives of whales. That’s intriguing. Beating the system.
Ophelie. To you as well.
Gurvarinder. Is there a system you want to beat?
Ophelie. The system of settlement.
Gurvarinder. That’s a hard one.
Ophelie. It is. I’m near collapse. I’ve gone as far as I can.
Gurvarinder. So that’s it? You’re settling down?
Ophelie. That is of course until I’m tired of settling down.
Gurvarinder. I don’t know how much I can help you, but I’d be willing to try.
Ophelie. Are you asking me out on a date?
Gurvarinder. It’s not exactly high stakes.
End. One to One